Thursday, August 21, 2008

TAKING THOUGHTS CAPTIVE

2 Corinthians 10:5
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ
.

AS YOU ALL KNOW I AM NO BIBLE TEACHER. I JUST ADD MY THOUGHTS WHICH SOMETIMES WELL LETS JUST SAY... ARE SHALLOW NOT REAL DEEP. BUT I TRY..

HERE ARE MY THOUGHTS ON THIS... TAKING CAPTIVE TO ME SOUNDS LIKE WE ARE TO ARREST OUR THOUGHTS THAT DO NOT LINE UP WITH GODS WORD. WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO IN MY LIFE IS WHEN DEPRESSION COMES AND NEGATIVE THOUGHTS COME I TRY TO COME AGAINST THEM WITH WHAT GOD SAYS ABOUT ME.

LIKE WHEN I THINK I AM WORTHLESS.....GOD SAYS I AM BOUGHT WITH A PRICE
GOD DOES NOT EVER THINK ABOUT ME......HIS THOUGHTS OF ME ARE LIKE THE GRAINS OF SAND
LONELY..... HE IS FRIED WHO STICKS CLOSER THAN BROTHER
DEPRESSED................... THE JOY OF THE LORD IS MY STRENTH

OK ,,,,, OKIE AND DAVE IF YOU READ THIS YOU CAN HELP ME OUT WITH THE DEEPER THINGS.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary,

I have found with my past history of depression, that I had to make a conscious DECISION to change my patterns of thinking. I heard a preacher once call it "Stinkin' Thinkin'".
The key is to be aware of when the negative thoughts come to mind and immediately cast them away. DECIDE to stop thinking negatively.

That megative pattern of thinking became idolatrous to me. In fact, at that time I heard a message that really was a revelation in my life. When we keep thinking about ourselves, it becomes self-idolatry. God is not happy with idolatry. When we serve others, we forget about ourselves. When we are constantly thinking of oursekves, we are idolizing ourselves. The day I heard this message I jumped out of my bed(where I was layign depressed) and realized that I was sinning against God by obsessing about myself.That day Ireally woke up.

Well, when the pattern of thinking changes, the behavior changes. This is not psychology, but what I have found true for myself. It is what we get used to-we have to change the way our mind thinks.

Thats why, the best way to get over depression (aside from finding medical,nutritional,and hormonal causes)is to be aware of those thoughts when they enter our mind, and realize that it is the enemy speaking to us, and DECIDE to change our thoughts. It has to be a real effort. God would not torture us.

I was not going to go on medication-I knew I had to conquer this and there was victory. So I can share this victory with others.

Do negative thoughts come to my mind? Of course, but it is what I DO with the thoughts. I realize where they are coming from and DECIDE I do not want the enemy to take one more day of my life. He had too many years to begin with.

Hope this is helpful.
It is not meant to judge or condemn anyone else, just to offer my experience.

Chosen

Maryb said...

HI Chosen
Good to see you... that is what I was trying to say ... think about what we are thinking about. Only you said it better than I did.

Maryb said...

only im not only talking about depression Im was talking about everything in general.

Anonymous said...

maryb: you have an excellent grasp of the passage. God bless...